Two grass courts and six hard courts were made for the park’s opening in 1931.
They were situated between Pellow’s Field, where the Life Centre stands today, and Britannia Way.
Four of the hard tennis courts had new land drains installed between 1953 and 1955, which suggests that they had become unplayable or nearly so. It is not known why the work took so long to complete although much appears to have been done by hand.
In 1970, the two grass courts were removed for the Mayflower Centre and in 1973 two of the hard courts were removed for the indoor bowls annex. The remaining courts were removed by 1978 to make way for a five-a-side football hall and squash courts. It is intriguing why tennis courts that had been refurbished less than 20 years previously should have been lost in this way. It suggests that tennis playing had lost popularity and was not expected to come back.