1932 - the present, Bowling

The opening programme in 1931 stated that two greens were being provided of special construction with sea-washed turf obtained from Lancashire. They were completed in 1932 and inaugurated by the Mayor, Mr G.P. Dymond who threw the first wood.

(The Box accession reference 3053/15)

Remarkably, the same greens have seen matches played in every year since then, with the possible exception of the second world war.  Such continuity has only been possible because the game has kept a keen following and experienced grounds staff have closely maintained the greens with jobs required in every season.

 Bowls match in progress 20th June 1950  (The Box accession reference 1418/5280)